Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Favorite Movements From ART 237



All of the movements we studied in this course were captivating to me (with the exception of DuChamp’s urinal-why was that such a huge influence on art that we are still learning about it today? If anyone can be an artist, then I feel like the appreciation for talented and hardworking artists is lost.) Besides that, I really enjoyed reading and learning about impressionism. I am intrigued that artists were challenged by new technologies like the camera to create something more unique. Monet’s paintings are impressive; I appreciate that he would actually go outside, prop up a canvas and begin to paint as quickly as he could. I am fascinated by his study of light with the haystacks as well. He painted them during every season of the year at various times of the day. The vibrancy of his colors and the fluid quick brushstrokes remind me of my own work. One of my favorite pieces by Monet is Springtime (top). The branches of the trees take up most of the canvas, which is made up of several small brushstrokes. These little brushstrokes give the painting so much energy. I am also impressed with how he handles the sunshine and light.
                Another movement that I really enjoyed learning more about was surrealism. This movement is so interesting because artists were really starting to break away from traditions like portraiture and narratives while instead, creating a dream-like world. Surrealistic artwork gave the viewer the opportunity to venture out of reality. I like incorporating surrealistic elements in my paintings because it is my escape from the burdens of the real world. I like having the ability to manipulate the believability of the image and the ideas behind it. I am so fascinated with strange or abnormal forms and artists like Salvador Dali who can make those forms seem real. One Dali painting that is particularly interesting to me is The Geopolitical Child Watching the Birth of the New Man (bottom). I love the twisted organic shapes that Dali uses in his work and especially in this one. The hanging cloth at the top of the painting has little dangling pieces that draw my attention. I absolutely love the strangeness of Dali’s work and even though it is realistic to an extent, it still doesn’t make sense. For example, in this painting we see a human form breaking free from an egg shaped form, but rather than cracking like an eggshell, it stretches like elastic. Also, the egg form has the definitions of a world map, which doesn’t exactly make sense. 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't really get Duchamp's urinal as well, but the concept or rather the idea that was behind it was revolutionary. He didn't actually intend the urinal to be an artwork, but an action and idea that could help redefine art and hopefully change it for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed impressionism. I think it's very interesting that artists created an innovative style of artwork by simplifying lines and details, while technologies like the camera were improving people's abilities to capture clear pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much of Dali's works interest me too. I enjoy the freedom of surrealism of well, and the reaction and emotions I feel when looking at works such as this. Much like Dali's strangeness, I think Duchamp was trying to evoke extreme reaction and thought in the viewers of his work. He developed a style that could accomplish this, provoke controversy, and prove that art is not a concrete subject and anyone could be an artist. I think he did pretty well for himself, considering his process (or lack thereof one).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too liked artwork that started breaking away from the traditions. I also liked surrealism because of the fact that they created dream-like worlds. I do agree with you that they do allow you to escape the real world for a moment.

    ReplyDelete